Storm Causes Damage Statewide, Thousands of Power Outages, Schools Closings and Delays

What to Know

  • What: Strong winds with gusts of 45 to 60 mph have resulted in power issues.
  • When: Sunday through Monday morning. The strongest part of the storm occured Sunday evening into the overnight.
  • Where: All of Connecticut.

There is damage across the state after powerful winds, as high as 73 miles per hour, and heavy rain took down trees and wires overnight. That has left thousands without power and led to hundreds of schools closings and or opening late. 


As of Tuesday morning, power remains out for more than 60,000.

Officials from Eversource said downed trees caused significant damage to the system and they have restored power to tens of thousands of customers and continue to make repairs.


There are more than 80 school closings and delays. For a full list, click here.


Officials from the state said they have been monitoring the storm since Sunday and have been in contact with the five regional offices, but no requests for state assistance. They said they are on standby to help cities and towns if they need assistance.

A tree came down on the garage of a house at 871 Ellington Road in South Windsor, causing significant damage to the garage. No one was hurt.

Trees came down on houses on Main Street in Watertown and Frissell Terrace in Middletown.  A tree behind the Windborne family's home on Frissell Terrace snapped, folded over the front of the house and broke the windshield of their car.

The Bolton Fire Department responded to a home on Notch Road for a tree on a house. Significant damage was reported.

Evacuations were ordered in Portland after a tree fell on a propane tank on Barlett Street.

Five state parks are closed today because of storm damage: Harkness Memorial in Waterford, Gillette Castle in East Haddam, Haystack Mountain in Norfolk, Hopeville Pond in Griswold and Sherwood Island in Westport.


Hanna Mordoh is tracking various road closures across the state this morning.

Check out her twitter account for the latest updates.

Route 161 in Montville was closed and a man was trapped in his truck for hours after a tree came down and took wires and a utility pole with it. Firefighters attempted to rescue him, but the man decided to stay with his belongings and is waiting for an Eversource crew to come clear up the damage.

Route 4 in Farmington was closed between West Avon Road (Route 167) and Brickyard Road due to a tree that brought down power lines. It has reopened.

Route 66 in Marlborough was closed from Robert Road to the East Hampton Town Line because of a tree down and wires in the road.

Route 21 in Killingly was closed between Ware Road and Hurry Road in Putnam due to a tree down in wires.

Storm Damage Oct. 30, 2017

In Lyme, fire officials said nearly every secondary road in town was closed due to debris Monday morning. The fire department is assessing the primary roads and working to clear up the damage.

East Windsor police report that there are branches down all around East Windsor and Broad Brook. South Water was closed north of Osborn Field, Scantic Road was closed in the area of 337 Scantic Road, and East Road was closed at Sullivan Farm Road.

Vernon officials reported that they responded to dozens of storm-related calls - mostly trees and wires down. Route 30 was closed between Bolton Road and Cold Spring. Police said repairs may not be complete until midnight.


Metro-North Danbury branch service is suspended after a mudslide and signal issues. New Canaan branch service was suspended due to a tree tangled in overhead wires and substitute bus service is in effect until further notice.

The New Haven line has opposite side boarding between South Norwalk and Noroton Heights because of severe weather issues. 

Amtrak suspended service between Boston and New Haven Monday morning because of downed trees, but announced service was restored around 9:45 a.m.

Shoreline East has been tweeting about delays for some trains.

The NBC Connecticut meteorologists say the worst of the storm moved through overnight but more rain moved through Monday morning. Cleanup efforts are underway across the state. Share your damage photos by emailing them to

Contact Us