Donations are needed after more than a dozen people were displaced following a roaring fire in Meriden on Sunday.
Firefighters said they faced heavy flames while battling the fire that broke out on Wilcox Avenue around 5 p.m. As the fire kept building, crews later had to pull back. Then reinforcements arrived in the city from Middletown, Southington and Berlin.
Thankfully firefighters said all 15 people who lived in the building made it out safely, however, they are in need.
“We lost everything,” one resident, Ivonne Ramirez, said.
Meriden police, Council of Neighborhoods and the Meriden Fire Department are planning a new clothing and toy drive for the two families affected on Saturday.
The drive will take place at the Meriden Green and Pratt Street, across from the Pratt Street Fire House, on March 24 between 9 a.m. and noon.
Here's a list of what they need:
- 4T shirts, size 5T pants, 8-9 shoe size for a 3-year-old boy
- Small shirts, size 6 pants, 12 or 1 shoe size for a 6-year-old boy
- Shirt and pants size 5T-6, 9 shoe size for a 2-year-old boy
- Shirt size XL, pants size 16, 8.5 shoe size for a 16-year-old girl.
- Shirt size large, pant size 11-12, shoe size 8-8.5 for an adult woman.
The group is also collecting monetary donations and gift cards.