Eversource announced it was sending crews from Connecticut to Massachusetts to provide assistance help in the wake of gas explosions that ignited fires in three towns Thursday, forcing several neighborhoods to evacuate. A teen died when the chimney from a house that exploded landed on his car.
Eversource is sending gas crews and equipment to support the communities and Columbia Gas. The response team will include 133 people, two emergency communications trailers and a mobile command unit.
Eversource said its systems are not connected to the Columbia Gas system and continue to operate safely.
The company is urging natural gas customers to review and follow these safety tips:
- Be aware that some natural gas heating systems may be impacted in the event of a power interruption. All customers should be prepared in case they lose their heating source
- Keep natural gas meters, all gas appliances and outdoor vents clear to maintain safe operation and access
- Install carbon monoxide detectors and check the batteries routinely
- Do not use a gas stove as a heating source – only use approved heating sources
- If you smell a gas odor in any home or business, move to a safe location and call 911 immediately