Family at Shelter as House Burns

Fire officials say a stove was left on while power to the home was out.

A Farmington family without power for days came home from a shelter Tuesday morning to find their house damaged by fire.

Flames broke out inside the Lido Road home around 6 a.m.

Power had been out to the home since the rare October storm that caused more than 900,000 outages statewide. A stove was left on after the power went out, and when the electricity came back on sometime overnight, the stove kicked on, igniting the fire, according to Unionville Fire Chief Brian Hunter.

The family was staying at a shelter, and returned home about an hour after firefighters had extinguished the flames.

No one was hurt, Hunter said.

Contact Us