Torch Thawing Pipes Might Have Started Simsbury Fire

Firefighters believe a plumbers torch being used to thaw pipes caused the fire at Meadow Apartments on Hopmeadow Street in Simsbury that killed two birds and displaced six people Tuesday.

Firefighters who responded to battle the fire in freezing temperatures Tuesday morning found one hydrant frozen, but they were able to use one a little further from the scene.

The fire destroyed two units and caused minor damage to four. No one was injured.

The road was closed, but it has reopened.

Firefighters believe the fire started in an apartment bathroom. It did not spread to other buildings. 

Contact Us