A fire that killed two brothers in New Britain in February was caused by food that was burning on the stove, fire officials said Friday.
Seventeen-year-old Elijah Little and 29-year-old Shaheen Davis died of smoke inhalation when their home at 73 Elam St. went up in flames on February 24. Fire officials said the men were trapped on the second floor.
Family and friends say Little was trying to save Davis, who had autism, when they were killed.
Firefighters tried to get to the brothers, but the flames and smoke were too intense. Three firefighters were injured battling the flames.
Chief Raul Ortiz said it was a difficult fire and crews wouldn't have even entered the building if there weren't people inside.
Little was a student at New Britain High School. His friends described him as a “happy soul” and someone that transcended the peer groups and got along with everyone.