Fire That Ripped Through Torrington Carpet Factory Deemed Accidental

The three-alarm fire that tore through a carpeting factory in Torrington on Sunday night has been deemed accidental.

The fire marshal investigating the blaze at the Alliance Carpet factory, at 180 Church Street, said it appeared that an employee was driving a propane-powered forklift and moving latex foam padding from one part of the factory to the other when the fire started.

It appears the forklift was hot when it ran over foam, which ignited and flames spread to a nearby pile of foam. 

Firefighters responded  when the water flow alarm went off at the around 8:20 p.m. on Sunday and neighbors reported a strange chemical smell, in addition to the smoke.

About six employees in the building at the time got themselves out and no one was injured, according to Torrington Fire Chief Gary Brunoli. 

Contact Us