Crews are investigating after a fire broke out at the Dollar General store in Oxford, causing damage to the structure.
Crews responded to the Oxford Road area near Park Road just after 2 p.m.
Heavy smoke was visible coming from the store. Officials put out the fire and hotspots, and have since cleared the scene.
“Upon arrival [of] first units, we had heavy smoke coming out the front door. Crews went in to make an initial attack to try to knock it down, but there was so much clutter in the aisleways of new merchandising stock that was blocking all the aisles, we had trouble getting in," Fire Chief Scott Pelletier said.
Get Connecticut local news, weather forecasts and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Connecticut newsletters.
Firefighters said the store is pretty well-gutted, but will eventually be able to be used again. The fire chief said the hot and humid weather conditions made it difficult to put out the fire.
Having to rotate firefighters every 15 minutes due to the extremely heat and humidity was a time killer, Pelletier said.
“Firefighters were getting a little heat exhaustion. It was a little warm today with the humidity and stuff. It was a hot fire inside when they were inside so they just went and got cooled down, got rehydrated and they got back to work," Pelletier said.
The store was open at the time of the fire and one patron was inside, but they aren't hurt.
The fire marshal is investigating. Several emergency crews from Oxford and surrounding towns could be seen responding to the blaze.
It's unknown if there are any injuries.
Sign up for our Breaking newsletter to get the most urgent news stories in your inbox.