new haven

Flights Resume at Tweed New Haven Airport After Fuel Truck Rollover

NBC Universal, Inc.

Headaches for passengers traveling in and out of Tweed New Haven Regional Airport. 

All arriving and departing flights were delayed for most of the day due to a fuel spill. 

The city of New Haven's Director of Emergency Operations Rick Fontana says a fuel truck with 5,000 gallons of Jet A fuel rolled over on Perimeter Road.

The driver of the truck suffered minor injuries as a result of the accident and was taken to Yale New Haven Hospital.

Authorities worked throughout the day to clean up and upright the truck.

Lori Smith was on board a plane headed back home to Orlando, Florida from Tweed New Haven Regional Airport when she got some bad news.

“Captain came on and said, ‘If you look out the right window, you will see emergency vehicles’, and announced a fuel truck, on its way to fuel our plane for the trip to Orlando, had overturned,” Smith tells us.

Smith, who was in Connecticut to drop off her daughter at Yale University, says all passengers got off the plane and were told they should expect delays. 

“We finally saw them unloading the bags, so that was a really bad sign. I made the decision to bail out at that point, because I’ve been through this before and I don’t want to sit in the airport for seven hours and then have my flight canceled,” explained Smith.

The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and Coast Guard were on scene to assess the environmental impact, which is believed to have been minimal.  

Flights were delayed through 8 p.m. Saturday evening, with most passengers choosing to reschedule their flights for Sunday morning. 

There will be a total of eight flights departing and arriving at Tweed New Haven Airport between 8 and 10 p.m. Saturday.

“It's an unfortunate situation, because this is the first time I have been down here. I think it’s out of their control. There are some things that happen that are out of our control,” Shelley Russell of Massachusetts added.

Airport officials say the cause of the accident remains under investigation. Initial reports by DEEP determined ten gallons of fuel were spilled and none in wetlands or waterways.

Contact Us