Gas Leak Prompts Evacuation of Second Hill Lane Elementary School in Stratford

A boiler malfunction prompted students and staff at the Second Hill Lane Elementary School in Stratford to be evacuated, according to the town's fire department. 

Crews were on the scene by 9:30 a.m. on Monday for air reading showing elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the boiler room, Assistant Chief Michael Camperlengo said. 

The boiler was turned off, which left the school with no heat or hot water. Using an "abudance of caution", students were moved to Our Lady of Grace Church, according to the superintendent’s office. 

No other room in the building, aside from the boiler room, showed elevated levels of carbon monoxide, Camperlengo said. 

Stratford Fire Department ventilated the boiler room, deemed it safe and cleared the scene at 10:28 a.m.

There were no injuries or reports of illness. 

Contact Us