With just a couple of days before U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is expected to arrest thousands of undocumented immigrants in major cities across the country, the governor and other state and local Connecticut officials held a news conference Friday morning to address the operation.
President Donald Trump had postponed the operation more than two weeks ago.
“We have 200 lawyers and in the attorney general’s office, 315 total staff. We are ready to do everything we can to protect and defend Connecticut’s families,” Attorney General William Tong said.
Gov. Ned Lamont held the news conference at Burroughs Community Center on Fairfield Avenue in Bridgeport and Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim spoke as well.
“All of us as elected officials are concerned about how our residents might be treated and we’re going to stand up for them, united on every front,“ Ganim said.
The raids are expected to target 10 cities that were previously revealed, though some of the cities might change before Sunday, a source told NBC News. Previously named cities were: Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans.