Hamden Mayor Says Officer Involved in Shooting Should Lose Job

“I have seen enough to say that I don't think that the officer should be a Hamden police officer any longer,” Hamden Mayor Curt Leng said.

What to Know

  • Hamden Officer Devin Eaton and Yale Officer Terrance Pollock opened fire on a vehicle while investigating a robbery on April 16.
  • A passenger in that vehicle, 22-year-old Stephanie Washington, was injured in that shooting. No weapon was found on the victims.
  • Protesters have been gathering night after night since the shooting, calling for the firing of both officers.

Protesters are still demanding action nearly two weeks after a police shooting in New Haven.

On Monday dozens marched to the Hamden mayor’s office, hoping their voices will be heard.

The group demanded an independent investigation and immediate termination of the Hamden police officer involved in that shooting on April 16. The mayor said he believes that officer should be terminated.

This was the latest in a series of protests after a Hamden and a Yale police officer fired on an unarmed couple in a car. The passenger, 22-year-old Stephanie Washington, was shot. The driver, 21-year-old Paul Witherspoon, was not hit.

Witherspoon’s mother said both officers should lose their jobs.

"I would also like to see them stripped of any type of way to get another civil service job anywhere else, I don’t think they should be able to police officers anywhere else, because wherever they go to me they're a liability,” Keisha Greene said.

Hamden Mayor Curt Leng gave his opinion on what actions he believes should be taken against the Hamden officer, Devin Eaton.

“I have seen enough to say that I don't think that the officer should be a Hamden police officer any longer,” Leng said.

But, the mayor says there’s a process that must be followed, and that the state investigation and internal investigation are moving quickly.

Depending on the outcomes, it may not end there.

Protesters say the only solution is for the officer to be terminated, and that they’re not going anywhere until that happens.

“Sir we're going to be back everyday we'll be back with more people,” protesters said.

The two officers are on paid leave while the investigations take place.

NBC Connecticut reached out to the police union but did not hear back.

Contact Us