Hartford Fire Department Terminates Firefighter Shot in Alleged Drug Deal

The Hartford Fire Department has terminated Firefighter Jimmy Ngo following an internal investigation.

The announcement comes just days after an arrest warrant was released detailing an incident where Ngo was shot several times last April. Investigators allege it was a drug deal gone wrong.

Ngo was fired after a special hearing where city leaders met on Thursday. He spent six years employed as a Hartford firefighter, most recently working out of Engine One, Ladder Six on Main Street.

According to court documents, Ngo’s alleged shooter, Jesus Perez, told Connecticut State Police it was a botched drug deal to help pay off Perez’s debts that led to Ngo’s shooting.

The shooting itself happened at the Rocky Hill industrial park back in April. Ngo was off-duty at the time and was hit four to five times in the face and back by a barrage of bullets.

Investigators said Perez told them he planned to sell $35,000-worth of drugs with Ngo. Instead, police said Perez shot and beat Ngo and took off with the drugs. Ngo fought back and investigators later found the alleged shooter’s blood in an abandoned car in New Britain.

Perez told troopers Ngo was shot by the alleged buyer.

The Hartford Fire Department released the following statement on the termination:

"On Wednesday, July 05, 2017, the Hartford fire department conducted an internal investigation pertaining to one of its members (Jimmy Ngo) that was allegedly involved in activity that is in violation of city and department policy. The facts obtained from this internal investigation warranted disciplinary action from the fire department’s administration. As a result of the findings, the member’s employment with the City of Hartford has been terminated, effective immediately. The City of Hartford and Hartford Fire Department has a zero tolerance for violation of its said policies that are counterintuitive to the hard work, dedication and sacrifices made by the greater body."

NBC Connecticut has reached out to Ngo’s union for comment but have not heard back.

Ngo told NBC Connecticut that he has no comment. 

Contact Us