Of all the cities bothered by bugs in the United States, Hartford is number one, according to TruGreen.
TruGreen compiled its first list of the American cities the most bothered by bugs, According to the customer data collected, Hartford is number one.
Multiple other Northeastern cities made the list, suggesting that people living in the Northeast are more concerned about bugs than other regions in the United States.
The Harris Poll conducted by TruGreen this month says 60 percent of Americans living in the northeast are worried about ticks messing up their summer versus 48 percent in the Midwest, 35 percent in the South and 32 percent in the West.
“Nobody likes to be bothered by bugs,” TruGreen regional technical manager John Bell said in a statement, “But they can be more than just annoying. Insects like ticks and mosquitoes can transmit diseases and cause allergic reactions in both people and pets.”
TruGreen also released a series of tips to keep the bugs away this holiday weekend and for the rest of the summer:
- Mosquitoes lay their eggs near water so remove sources of standing water, such as in birth baths or buckets.
- Keep grass cut short to deter ticks
- Encourage insect-eating bugs into the yard by setting up bat and birdhouses
- Don’t overwater the lawn to keep fleas away
- Follow the precautions outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention