YMCA in Putnam Reopens After Acid Spill

Hydrochloric acid is extremely corrosive and inhaling fumes from the spill can damage lungs.

NBC Connecticut

The Hale YMCA Youth and Family Center was evacuated Wednesday night after some hydrochloric acid spilled inside and it was deemed safe to reopen at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, according to a Facebook post.

“The Hale YMCA Youth and Family Center in Putnam has re-opened as of 9:30 AM today. The Emergency Management Director and Fire Marshal for the Town of Putnam inspected the facility and conferred with the Northeast District Department of Health. NDDH sees no public health threat or reason for the facility to be closed. The YMCA closed yesterday after an employee noticed a chemical smell coming from the pool filtration room and the YMCA was evacuated. Upon investigation, the Putnam Fire Department determined that the smell was due to a hydrochloric acid spill of approximately five to 10 gallons. No injuries or illnesses were reported, and we continue to work cooperatively with local public safety officials. We have no greater priority than the health and safety of all who visit and work at our Y, which is why we acted with such immediacy. I want to thank the employee for so diligently reporting this issue, as well as public safety officials for responding so quickly,” Executive Director Amanda Kelly said in a statement Thursday morning.

No one was injured and no one has reported feeling sick as a result of the spill.

Contact Us