Improper Disposal of Ashes Caused Milford Garage Fire: Fire Officials

Improper disposal of ashes is to blame for a garage fire in Milford Monday, according to Milford fire officials.

Crews were called to the home at 169 Yale Ave. around 12:42 p.m. Firefighters found active flames coming out of the walls when they arrived.

The homeowner told fire officials he had emptied ashes from a wood burning stove into the plastic recycling bin around 9:30 a.m. The bin, which he left next to the garage, started the fire.

The damage was mostly confined to the exterior of a two-car garage and a car inside the garage was not damaged. No one was hurt.

Fire officials said ashes and embers from a fireplace or wood-burning stove should be placed in a fire-rated metal container at a reasonable distance away from your home.

Contact Us