In Case You Missed It Weekend Digest: November 23

digest-avalo-buckland-menard
Family Photo/NBC CT

To help keep you informed on the most shared and talked about stories, each Saturday and Sunday we'll revisit five stories from the previous week, including the most recent updates.

Tragic End to Search

A body found Tuesday in Wolcott was that of 26-year-old Janet Avalo-Alvarez, of Waterbury, who had been missing since November 12, according to police. Avalo-Alvarez was the victim of a homicide, and police named her boyfriend as a suspect. Alfredo Peguero-Gomez hasn't been since since the day Avalo-Alvarez disappeared. Peguero-Gomez’s car was found in a parking lot at Newark International Airport. For more on where police are looking for him, click here.

Mall Restrictions

Starting on Black Friday through the holidays, shoppers under 18 will have to have an adult chaperone with them at The Shoppes at Buckland Hills in Manchester and the Brass Mill Center in Waterbury. The move comes a year after a large-scale disturbance at The Shoppes at Buckland Hills involving as many as 300 youths. See more on the new policy here.

Hero Remembered

Thousands of mourners, including many firefighters, lined the streets of Worcester Monday to pay their final respects to fallen fire Lt. Jason Menard, who died while saving others during a fire last week. Firefighters from Connecticut were among those who were in Worcester to honor Lt. Menard. He died while helping fellow firefighters escape from a house fire on Nov. 13. For more on the farewell to Lt. Menard, click here.

Reward Offered

The state of Connecticut is offering a $50,000 reward for information that leads to the killer of an East Hartford man found dead in his home in November 2018. Police said 30-year-old Dominic Marino was found dead of a gunshot wound in his home at 48 Suffolk Drive on November 18, 2018. His wrists and ankles were tied, and there was evidence of a struggle and forced entry into the home, investigators said. See more on the investigation here.

Yale Coach Out

Yale University announced that Brendan Faherty is no longer the head coach of the Yale University women's soccer team. In a statement, the university said it was made aware of what it called "deeply troubling information" about Faherty that school officials did not know prior to hiring him last year. For more on what Yale had to say, click here.

Contact Us