Gov. Ned Lamont and other officials Tuesday discussed the availability of mental health services for students in the wake of the fentanyl overdose death of a 13-year-old student at a school in Hartford.
The student at the Sport and Medical Sciences Magnet School in Hartford was hospitalized Thursday after overdosing on the drug while at school. Two other students who were exposed to the fentanyl were also taken to the hospital but later released.
Police found 40 bags of the fentanyl in the school.
Just a day later, five students at New Haven's Bishop Woods Architecture & Design Magnet School were taken to the hospital after ingesting an edible item that contained THC and began vomiting.
The governor was joined by Mental Health and Addiction Services Commissioner Nancy Navarretta and state Education Commissioner Charlene Russell-Tucker.
They also urged parents to ensure medications are safe and secure and to properly dispose of unwanted medications, including at prescription drug collection boxes.