One Dead After Shooting Involving Authorities in Hartford

NBC Universal, Inc.

One person is dead after an exchange of gunfire with authorities on Enfield Street in Hartford on Wednesday morning.

State police said troopers were called to Hartford after members of the Safe Streets Task Force, which includes local law enforcement, state police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, working on an ongoing investigation came into contact with a "known suspect" around 9 a.m.

As task force members were arresting a suspect, another "subject" exchanged gunfire with officers at the scene. That person was transported and has died, state police said.

Hartford police said no Hartford officers discharged their weapons, though they were on scene as part of the task force and have turned body camera footage over to the State police for the investigation.

State police said the task force investigates some of the more serious crimes in and around the city of Hartford.

Police have not identified the suspect. They are notifying the family and waiting for an autopsy to be performed.

According to FBI personnel at the scene, this was an isolated incident and no law enforcement officers were injured.

There is a large police presence in Hartford after what local police said was a shooting involving an officer.

Mayor Luke Bronin released the following statement in response to the shooting:

“While Hartford officers did not fire their weapons during this incident, we believe that it is important to make as much information as possible available to the Hartford community as quickly as possible. There will be a full investigation, and the Hartford Police Department will be cooperating fully in that investigation. The information we have indicates that members of the task force exchanged fire with an individual, and that he was killed. Our prayers are with everyone involved, and with the family of the individual who was killed. This appears to have been a very dangerous situation, and I am grateful that no officers were injured."

No additional information was immediately available.

Hartford police said the joint state-federal investigation is ongoing. State police are taking the lead on the investigation and will be working with the New Haven State's Attorney's Office.

Contact Us