Man Found Dead After Barricading Himself, Shooting Ex-Girlfriend in Bridgeport: Police

A man has been found dead after police said he barricaded himself in a home following a shooting on Sunday night.

Officers responded to Gilman Street around 8:30 p.m. after getting a report of shots fired. When police arrived, they said they couldn't find a victim at the scene.

Shortly after, officers met with a 21-year-old woman who drove to police headquarters after being shot by her ex-boyfriend, police said.

According to police, the woman's ex-boyfriend, later identified as 28-year-old Jovan Boyd, shot her on Gilman Street as she was sitting inside of her vehicle. A second woman and a 3-year-old child were also inside the car at the time of the shooting, but were not injured.

The woman who was shot was treated at St. Vincent's Medical Center for a gunshot wound to her arm that police said is not critical.

Authorities said they tracked Boyd to Pacific Street, where he was seen by officers and engaged them in a foot pursuit.

Boyd was able to make it inside of a home before he was apprehended and he refused to come out, police added.

Officers said Boyd indicated that he was armed and that he would not surrender to police.

Police secured the scene and the Bridgeport Police Emergency Services Unit was activated. A police negotiator made contact with Boyd and spoke with him, police said, but he would not surrender to officers.

Telephone contact was lost with Boyd around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, officers said and many attempts to re-establish communication with him were not successful.

Around 6:15 a.m., the Emergency Services Unit tried several techniques to try and get Boyd to leave the home, but they were also not successful, police added.

Shortly after, authorities used specialized equipment and said they found Boyd dead in the basement of the home from an apparent gunshot wound.

Detectives expect to process a crime scene during the day.

The incident remains under investigation.

Contact Us