The fireworks that injured a man in Guilford Saturday night were illegal, according to police.
A 37-year-old man lost two fingers and a thumb after the accident at the Bayberry Marina.
Police and fire crews responded to 311 Chaffinch Island Road after a call came in around 9 p.m. They discovered the man injured and transported him to an area hospital by ambulance.
An investigation of the area found a large display of illegal fireworks set up in a marsh area, according to police.
While setting off the fireworks, one accidentally exploded in the man's hand, police said.
The unidentified man was not licensed to have the fireworks, and he did not have a permit to hold a fireworks display, according to cops.
Police had not filed charges as of Monday.