Angela Fortuna-Hodges

Man's Hand Crushed After Cleaning Chimney in Stamford: Fire Officials

A man severely crushed his hand after it got caught in a chimney flue in Stamford, according to fire officials.

A 5-foot piece of unsupported chimney came down and pinned the man's arm against the shaftway, Stamford Fire Department Captain Philip Hayes said.

The incident occurred at around 6:30 p.m. on Givens Avenue on Saturday.

The man was cleaning up a construction area when the incident happened, officials said.

Firefighters stabilized the chimney and then dismantled it to free the man's arm, Hayes said.

A tourniquet was placed on the man's arm, as there was a serious crush injury, fire officials said.

The man was transported to Stamford Hospital for treatment.

Authorities did not disclose further details about the man's condition.

Contact Us