20 Displaced After Hamden Apartment Complex Fire

Several Hamden families were displaced after a two-alarm fire at an apartment complex Monday night.

Hamden fire officials said they responded to the fire at 649 Mix Avenue around 10 p.m. When they arrived they found flames and high heat coming from a two-story multi-family structure in the complex.

Everyone made it out of the building safely. Neighbors were evacuated while firefighters worked. The fire was determined under control around 11 p.m.

Fire officials said the fire started in a kitchen on the first floor and spread up to the second floor and attic.

Four units in 649 Mix Avenue were damaged by fire and water and four units in 655 Mix Avenue were affected by loss of heat and electricity. Twenty people were displaced.

One firefighter suffered a minor arm injury and one resident was evaluated on scene for smoke inhalation. No one was taken to the hospital, officials said.

The fire marshal determined the fire was started by a pot of boiling water that ignited by accident.

The Red Cross was called in to assist the residents.

Contact Us