This weekend is expected to be perfect for the beach, but, if you’re headed to some beaches you may not see any lifeguards on duty.
West Haven and state beaches will not have life-guards on duty because those positions are seasonal and run from Memorial Day to the Labor Day weekend.
However, Lighthouse Point Park in New Haven will have lifeguards on duty as an extra precaution.
Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) released this statement to NBC Connecticut:
“Our lifeguard season runs from Memorial Day through Labor Day to capture the traditional summer months, which is a typical lifeguard schedule throughout the northeast at public swimming beaches and pools.”
DEEP also offered the following safety recommendations:
- If you are not a swimmer, stay in water waist deep or less.
- If you are a swimmer, swim with a buddy.
- Never swim while drinking alcohol-it impairs judgment and coordination.
- Parents watch your children-the safest place to be when they are in the water is within arm's reach of them.
- Natural swimming areas can have holes or ledges on their bottoms, and may drop off quickly into deep water.
- Diving in head first can cause serious injury or death.
The extended weather is perfect for businesses like Savin Rock’s Surf Shop.
George Curtis is the co-owner and is excited about the spike in temperatures.
"It's nice that we're getting a chance to go through at least the end of October,” said Curtis. “If the next couple of weeks are going to have his mild weather, it’ll be great for us.”
Kristina Lawrence decided to treat herself with a trip to the beach for the last weekend of summer.
"It's been lovely out here,” said Lawrence. “I really wanted to come here to clear my mind, and be able to refresh my body.”
Lawrence says she has a few concerns after hearing that some beaches won’t have lifeguards.
"Not having any lifeguards is a little bit of a concern maybe they should have like two just to play it safe,” said Lawrence. “I worry about kids who might want to get in a late season swim.”
DEEP is providing free lifeguard training starting in December for those people who want to work with us in the summer 2020.