north stonington

Mass. Man Arrested in Conn. After Multi-State Pursuit, Standoff

NBC Universal, Inc.

A Massachusetts man was arrested after a pursuit Wednesday that started in Massachusetts, went through Rhode Island and ended in Stonington after an hour-long standoff, according to Connecticut state police.

Connecticut state police got involved in the investigation when Rhode Island state police were pursuing the driver of a white Toyota pickup into Stonington at 12:45 p.m.

Police identified the driver as 36-year-old Ian Grant of Dartmouth, Mass. They said he is suspected of arson at his home Wednesday morning and fled from New Bedford, Mass. police who were trying to serve him with arrest warrants.

Massachusetts state police tried to stop him on Route 195 in Westport, Mass., but Grant drove off the highway, into the median and directly at Massachusetts state troopers, hit two cruisers, and fled, according to a news release from Connecticut state police.

Rhode Island state police saw Grant’s truck in Newport a short time later and he displayed an assault rifle toward state troopers who were pursuing him, CT state police said.

The chase continued onto Route 78 in Westerly, R.I. and then into Stonington.

Police said Grant led Connecticut state police on a pursuit from Route 78 in Stonington onto Route 2, near the North Stonington rotary.

For an hour, he refused to get out of the truck, state police said, and Connecticut and Rhode Island state troopers were eventually able to get him out of the truck and take him into custody.

Connecticut state police charged Grant with engaging in a pursuit, reckless driving, failure to maintain a proper lane, interfering and reckless endangerment.

He was held on $200,000 bond and is due in court on Thursday. They said he will face additional charges in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

Grant appeared in court on Thursday.

The public defender who was appointed said Grant has significant mental health history that he disclosed and is not treating it now.

Grant waived his right to an extradition hearing and consented to be extradited back to Massachusetts.

Bond was set at $200,000 for the Connecticut charges. Bond on the extradition matter was set at $800,000, according police.

The next court date is set for May 11.

Contact Us