Officials Continue Conversation on Officer-Involved Shooting in New Haven

Police officers from two departments opened fire on a man and woman inside of a car Tuesday morning on Argyle Street in New Haven. State police said no weapon was found in the car.

Hamden police have identified one of the officers who fired at a vehicle in New Haven Tuesday, a shooting that wounded a 22-year-old woman.

The communities are calling for justice after the incident. The mayors of Hamden and New Haven, as well as police chiefs from Hamden, New Haven and Yale, held a press conference Wednesday to further discuss what happened.

The Hamden police officer involved has been identified as Officer Devin Eaton. Eaton has worked as a police officer for over four years, and has been with the Hamden Police Department for two years and 10 months, Hamden police said. He is on administrative leave for the duration of the investigation.

A Yale University police officer also fired during the incident. That officer has not yet been identified.

The officials called what happened "unacceptable" and are trying to reassure the community that Connecticut State Police are doing a thorough investigation.

"We're all angry. And I can't ask you to believe it, that we're going to do the right thing ... I ask one thing: I ask you to believe in the actions that are taken," said Hamden Mayor Curt Leng.

"I just want you to know how troubled concerned and frankly outraged I am by yesterday’s shooting," added New Haven Mayor Toni Harp.

People are still really upset after finding out a Hamden officer and a Yale officer opened fire on a man and woman inside of a car Tuesday morning on Argyle Street in New Haven. State police said no weapon was found in the car.

New Haven Police said Hamden officers suspected the car was involved in the armed street robbery of a newspaper delivery carrier at 4:19 a.m. Tuesday in Hamden that they were investigating.

According to State Police, "the suspected party exited the vehicle in an abrupt manner and turned toward officers."

Surveillance video that apparently captured the incident does not show those movements. Witnesses saw police ordering both the man and woman to get out after they stopped shooting.

Mayor Harp said the municipalities are working together to create a better response plan when officers have to cross town lines.

"We can’t undo what happened yesterday but we can have control of what we do moving forward and we are committed to improve the level of service we provide for these communities," said New Haven interim Police Chief Otoniel Reyes.

People protested on Tuesday in Hamden and New Haven, expressing their outrage for what happened.

Officials stress that State Police are continuing their investigation and that the state's attorney's office has made it a top priority. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact State Police.

Contact Us