Overloaded Power Strip Causes Fire at Hartford Residential Building

A fire broke out on the first floor of a residential building in Hartford, officials said.

The Hartford Fire Department responded to a mattress ablaze on Orange Street just after 4:30 pm on New Year's Eve. The fire started on the first floor and extended to the second, the Hartford Fire Department said in a statement. 

Officials determined an overloaded power strip was the cause. 

The building had six residential units and 18 people were relocated. The structure sustained significant damage, according to the fire department. 

No injuries were reported.

Contact Us