Two Displaced After Overnight Fire Destroys Glastonbury Home

Two people have been displaced after a fire ravaged a Glastonbury home overnight and was still smoldering Sunday morning just before 6 a.m.

"You knew as soon as the fire started they were going to lose the whole thing," Lee Watson, who lives next door to 214 Foote Road, the house the caught on fire.

Flames broke out on the first floor of the house and quickly spread. Firefighters were called to the seen close to 12:30 a.m.

"First arriving officers had fire showing in the back of the house," Glastonbury Fire Chief Michael Thurz said. "Fully involved. The fire quickly spread to the rest of the house. All the occupants got out of the house. As you can see the house is a total loss."

The two women living in the home have been accounted for and are safe, but their house was destroyed.  It's not clear if they were both home at the time of the fire. There were no injuries.

Watson said that the two people living in the house just renovated it.

"It’s just tragic after all the work that they put in," Watson said.

There are no hydrants in the area, so the Glastonbury Fire Department called for mutual aid to bring water. That's the second time the fire department responded to a fire without a hydrant nearby within a day, fire officials said.

The fire is the second blaze Glastonbury firefighters have had to fight within 24 hours. A truck fire in a garage spread to a home, displacing three on Saturday afternoon.

The cold weather and ice created additional challenges in fighting both fires and made battling the overnight fire particularly difficult.

"We did have a couple falls on the ice," Glastonbury Fire Chief Michael Thurz said. "Nothing serious, nothing life threatening, they were treated and released on scene. one of our pumps did freeze. So, yeah, the cold can definitely hamper our operations."

Contact Us