Murder-Suicide Over Business Dispute: Cops

Two brothers are dead over a dispute about the family business and police are calling it a murder-suicide.

Police responded to Electrix at 45 Spring St. at 7:47 a.m. after employees reported hearing several gunshots.

They found Gordon Swisha (also spelled Shwisha), the 45-year-old owner of the company, dead. He had been shot several times in his Jeep, according to police.

People who know the brothers said the men's father had turned the business over to them. Gordon owned more of the business and recently fired his brother, they said. 

Police have not confirmed that the employee's account is what happened on Monday.

At 8:30 a.m., Westport police received a 911 call from a home on Rustic Lane from someone who said their son had shot himself. When police responded, they found Daniel Shwisha, 47, of Woodbridge, suffering from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

While treating Daniel Shwisha, New Haven police called Westport police to tell them that the suspect of a homicide in New Haven might be heading to the Rustic Lane house.

Daniel Shwisha was transported to Norwalk Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:13 a.m. He had registered firearms and police said they removed ammunition from the company building.

Westport Police said the department's detective bureau is working with the New Haven Police Department about the possible link between the two cases. 

The Secretary of the State's business listings list Haim Shwisha as president, Gordon Shwisha as secretary and Daniel Shwisha as director.

Employees spoke highly of Gordon.

"He was fantastic, good, good boss," said Carmen Negon said, who called his boss a nice person who did not have problems with people. "It was so surprised to find this news in the morning because he was so good.  We never thought that this can happen to him."

Electrix is an architectural lighting fixture manufacturer, according to its Web site. The company has made lighting fixtures since 1962.

Both brothers had wives and children and police, concerned about other family members, called to check to see if they were OK. None of the family members were ready to speak about what happened this morning.

Gordon Swisha lived in Fairfield with his wife and son, according to neighbors.

"Gordon was one of the best. We’ve got some great neighbors here," his neighbor, Toby Entwistle, said. "It’s just so sad to hear a story like this because he was such a great guy, there’s no doubt about it."

This is the Rustic Lane house in Westport, where police found Daniel Shwisha.

Contact Us