Kids Ran to Grandmother to Report Bristol Murder-Suicide

A young husband and wife were found dead in their home at 73 Henderson Street in Bristol on Wednesday morning in a murder-suicide.

Authorities said children discovered the bodies of 26-year-old Alexander Ryng and his wife, 27-year-old Kyla Ryng and alerted neighbors.

The medical examiner determined that Kyla's death a homicide. She had been shot in the head. Alexander's death was ruled a suicide. He also died of a gunshot to the head, according to the medical examiner.

Kyla Ryng filed for divorce May 30, according to state court records.

The couple's three children – ages 4 years, 3 years and 20 months – were home at the time and were not injured.

In 911 calls released on Thursday, Kyla's mother, who lives next door,  called police to report the incident around 7:14 a.m. after two of the children came to her house and told her their father was shooting their mother.

During a news conference late on Wednesday afternoon, Bristol police Chief Thomas Grimaldi said Alexander Ryng legally purchased the weapon used in the shooting.

According to the U.S. Army National Guard, Ryng was a member of the Connecticut Army National Guard and was based in New London.

"We extend our sincere sympathy and condolences to the families and friends of Alex and Kyla Ryng," said Col. John T. Wiltse, director of public affairs for the Connecticut National Guard, in a statement Wednesday. "This is a tragedy that affects many communities, including our Guard. We mourn their loss. The Ryng family will remain in our thoughts and prayers."

A neighbor who did not want to appear on camera said the three children are with their grandmother. According to police, the Department of Children and Families has been notified.

Residents of the quiet neighborhood said they were shocked.

"This is a very quiet neighborhood," said neighbor Brenton Eckstrom. "I grew up here; I bought the house from my parents. That's the reason I bought it: it's always quiet."

Contact Us