Police Release 911 Calls of Response After Stabbing of Hartford Officer

Police have released the 911 calls made after a Hartford police officer was stabbed in the neck in the line of duty Thursday.

The officer, Jill Kidik, a 12-year-veteran, remains in critical but stable condition in the intensive care unit at Hartford Hospital. On Friday morning, she was able to open her eyes and police said she was alert.

Chevoughn Augustin, 39, is accused of stabbing Kidik and has been charged with criminal attempted murder, first-degree assault, assault on a police officer, and third-degree criminal mischief.

The police report released Friday says police were called to 5 Constitution Plaza because a resident was damaging property inside the building, taking postings and paperwork off the community bulletin board and common areas in the lobby without permission.

The person who filed the complaint told police that Augustin showed signs of mental instability and had been committing illegal acts in the building, according to the police report.

The report is redacted and the names are blacked out, but it says an officer responded around 9:10 a.m. to investigate the complaint, Augustin was aggressive and agitated and the officer requested an ambulance. While waiting for the ambulance, Augustin and the officer got into a physical altercation.

Hartford police dispatch was soon alerted about an altercation in the building and that an officer was in trouble and had been stabbed in the neck.

Other officers in the area immediately responded and found Kidik on the ninth floor with stab wounds to the neck. Witnesses had restrained Augustin, according to police, and officers handcuffed her. Police have identified those witnesses as members of the building maintenance staff.

Kidik was rushed to Hartford Hospital and went through emergency surgery.

She is a decorated officer who was recognized in 2016 for saving a 1-year-old baby's life in 2015. She was bestowed the Hartford Police Department's Lifesaving Award for rescuing the baby.

Police issued a warning on Thursday afternoon that any solicitation for donations on behalf of Kidik is likely a scam because no Hartford police organization is actively seeking donations for her.

Augustin sustained a cut to the fingers on her right hand as police took her into custody Thursday and patrol officers took her to Saint Francis Hospital.

After she was released from the hospital, Augustin admitted to her involvement, according to the police report.

She said she had been having ongoing issues with the building management and had been served an eviction notice. She also said she had removed postings from a bulletin board without permission because she felt they were disorganized, then went back to her apartment and woke up when a police officer was knocking on her door, the police report says.

Augustin went on to tell officers that she was asked to get identification and did not trust the officer and decided to leave.

She went on to tell investigators that the office knocked her to the ground and while wrestling to get away, she grabbed a “chopping” knife and stabbed the officer twice in the neck. Then a maintenance person separated her from the officer, according to the police reports.

Augustin, who has a son and a 3-month-old grandchild, appeared in court Friday and is being held on $2 million bond.

Jeff Ravetz and Joseph Klaynberg, the owners of 5 Constitution Plaza, released the following statement Thursday:

“Our heartfelt wishes and prayers are with the police officer and her family at this time. We wish her a speedy and full recovery. We are also very proud of our staff who, at great risk to themselves, interceded and ended this awful attack. The safety and security of our tenants remains our top priority. We are working with the local authorities to assist in the investigation in any way that we can."

Contact Us