A rookie Bridgeport police officer will not face charges after fatally shooting an unarmed teenager and wounded a 21-year-old man during a traffic stop in May, according to a spokesperson for the victim's family.
Bridgeport Police Chief Armando Perez has said Officer James Boulay opened fire when a stolen SUV driven by 15-year-old Jayson Negron suddenly went into reverse and nearly ran over Boulay on May 9.
The Waterbury State’s Attorney declined to file charges against Boulay following an investigation into the incident.
“We are feeling all kinds of pain right now," said Jeannia Fu of the Justice for Jayson Coalition.
According to the report released by the Waterbury State's Attorney, Boulay was justified in his use of force because he was defending himself.
"Officer James Boulay has stated that he was in fear of being dragged under the Subaru being operated by Jayson Negron and discharged his weapon only after he had been struck by the vehicle and believed that he was about to be subjected to serious bodily harm," the report reads.
The report goes on to state that witness statements, as well as physical evidence, support Boulay's claim. Multiple witnesses said they the car hit Boulay before the officer opened fire. There was also damage to the vehicle consistent with Boulay's version of events, the report said.
Julian Fyffe, who was a passenger in the SUV, and Negron's family dispute the police account of events.
Fyffe has said he and Negron were left bleeding on the street for nearly 20 minutes before they received medical attention. However, according to a report released by the state's attorney, medical assistance was called for within 12 seconds of the report of shots fired and the first paramedic arrived eight minutes later.
"Police called for medical assistance no fewer than five times repeatedly asking that such help be expedited," the report reads.
Negron's family and community activists have been calling for criminal charges against Boulay and vowed to keep fighting.
"We are going to keep fighting this and everyone in Connecticut can and should stay with us. We demand that the six members of the Criminal Justice Commission of Connecticut reopen the investigation immediately," Fu said.