Protesters Continue Call for Justice After Woman Shot By Police in New Haven

Police officers from two departments opened fire on a man and woman inside of a car Tuesday morning on Argyle Street in New Haven. State police said no weapon was found in the car.

Protesters gathered for a second day Wednesday after an officer-involved shooting in New Haven that injured a 22-year-old woman Tuesday.

The shooting did not involve New Haven Police, but rather an officer from the Hamden Police Department and one from the Yale Police Department. Connecticut State Police, who are investigating, said both officers fired during the incident.

The protesters hope to continue to put pressure on city leaders to release body camera footage.

Dozens of people rallied outside the home of Yale President Peter Salovey Wednesday. 

They have concerns after one of Yale’s police officers was involved in yesterday’s shooting, and came with a list of demands.

Those demands include all the officers involved in the case should be fired immediately, the officers' body camera footage to be released, and transparency in the ongoing investigation.

"I think the concern is we are benefiting," said Ian Wraga, a Yale student who lives near the shooting scene and spoke to NBC Connecticut earlier in the day."We go to Yale. We are benefiting from this. We are paying tuition here and yet this is the type of thing that this institution is being a part of and that's just not OK."

This is one of several protests held since the shooting. Black Lives Matter protesters showed up at Hamden Police Department Tuesday night, demanding answers about the shooting. Another group rallied at the site of the shooting on Argyle Street in New Haven Tuesday night.

Police said the officers opened fire on a man and woman inside of a car Tuesday morning on Argyle Street in New Haven. State police said no weapon was found in the car.

New Haven Police said Hamden officers suspected the car was involved in the armed street robbery of a newspaper delivery carrier at 4:19 a.m. Tuesday in Hamden that they were investigating.

According to State Police, "the suspected party exited the vehicle in an abrupt manner and turned toward officers."

Surveillance video that apparently captured the incident does not show those movements. Witnesses saw police ordering both the man and woman to get out after they stopped shooting. 

Earlier Wednesday New Haven and Hamden leaders held a press conference and promised to help rebuild trust with the folks in surrounding areas after the shooting.

But concerned citizens who spoke to NBC Connecticut, including some Yale students, still question why the officers fired their guns as the state’s attorney’s office continue the investigation.

“My tuition money is funding the salaries of Yale police officers. A Yale police officer was one of the shooters so my money is tied into this violence that’s happening in our community,” said Ross Miller, a Yale student.

A police department representative said Yale officers have citywide jurisdiction.

“I write this evening to assure you that Yale will cooperate fully in the investigation that the Connecticut State Police and the State’s Attorney’s Office are conducting; when they have finished, and we can have access to the evidence, we will also conduct our own investigation into this matter. As the primary investigation proceeds, we will share whatever information we can as quickly as we can about the circumstances of the shooting,” Salovey wrote in a statement posted on Yale’s website Wednesday.

The Yale officer has been identified as Terrance Pollock, a 16-year veteran of the department.

The Hamden police officer involved has been identified as Officer Devin Eaton. He has been placed on administrative leave.

As community members express their frustration, city leaders urge anyone who may have seen the situation unfold or who may have video of the shooting to give them a call.

Contact Us