Several Quinnipiac University students are suddenly trying to make new living arrangements for the fall after asbestos was found in some residence halls.
Quinnipiac students expecting to live in Larson, Perlroth and Troup Residence Halls, on the Mount Carmel campus, received an unexpected letter Wednesday, informing them their accommodations will not be available this year.
Karissa Laramie, a senior at Quinnipiac, said one of her friends received the letter.
“She got an email yesterday and texted us, was like, ‘I just got rearranged.’” Laramie said.
In the letter to families, Quinnipiac explained that while assessing renovations scheduled for the summer, the university’s Connecticut-licensed asbestos consultant determined that certain building materials that will be disturbed contain asbestos. Those materials, as well as any undisturbed asbestos, will be removed.
“There’s a lot of people that live in (the affected residence halls) and they were probably really excited for their roommates but the school has to take care of that and make it safe for everybody,” added Laramie.
Those students affected will be reassigned and given a $1,000 housing credit toward the upcoming academic year.
Danielle Marcone, who will be a second semester junior, was expecting to be in Perlroth, where she was last year. She had already arranged roommates, but the reassignment could change things.
“Now, I have to move into a freshman dorm with people I don’t know,” Marcone said.
Marcone hasn’t committed to that plan though and is looking at off-campus housing including the possibility of renting a house with friends. Something she admits could actually be fun.
While inconvenient for students and families, one parent we spoke with seemed to understand.
“It’s unfortunate, but at least there’s housing available and (Quinnipiac) is going to do something to accommodate the kids,” Phil Amico, of Meriden, said. “I think that’s the most important thing.”
Quinnipiac officials sent NBC Connecticut a copy of the letter they sent to students.
However, they have no further comment.
Following is the letter from the vice president and dean of students:
"I write to advise you that the Larson, Perlroth and Troup Residence Halls (the Suites) will not be available for occupancy during the 2019 – 2020 academic year, as previously planned. Students who were scheduled to reside in the Suites will now be assigned to alternative on-campus residence halls:
"• New on-campus residence hall assignments will be available on MyHousing later today.
"• If your alternative assignment is equipped with a kitchen, you will not be billed for this additional cost.
"• A total of $1,000.00 will be credited toward your University housing bill for the 2020 – 2021 academic year for the impacted students ($400 applied to the Fall and $600 applied to the Spring), for those students who will reside that year in University housing.
"• Students who are reassigned to Crescent at York Hill will receive an upgraded parking permit that allows for parking in the York Hill parking garage at any time and the Hilltop parking lot on the Mount Carmel campus between the hours of 6:00 AM – Midnight.
"As background, during renovations of the Suites that had been scheduled for this summer, including the installation of air conditioning systems in each of the buildings, the University’s Connecticut-licensed asbestos consultant determined that certain building materials that will be disturbed contain asbestos. Intact and undisturbed asbestos-containing materials, such as those identified at the Suites, do not present a risk and are not required to be removed unless disturbed. Although not required, consistent with the University’s commitment to student safety, all asbestos-containing materials identified in the Suites buildings will be removed – not just the materials that must be removed when disturbed during the renovation.
"The work will be performed this summer by Connecticut-licensed consultants and contractors in accordance with applicable requirements, including testing to confirm that all asbestos-containing materials have been removed, and that work can progress to complete renovations of the Suites. Given this unanticipated delay, we expect that the Suites will be available for student occupancy at the beginning of the 2020 – 2021 academic year.
"On behalf of the University, we regret the inconvenience that this delay in renovating the Suites causes our affected students. The renovation of the Suites is important to enhancing the student living experience at our residence halls, as conveyed by President Olian this Spring. We expect that you will agree that, once renovated and equipped with air conditioning, the Suites will be back and better than ever."