5 Displaced After Hartford Electrical Fire

A roof partially collapsed during a two-alarm electrical fire in Hartford late Sunday night and five people have been displaced.

Flames filled the dark sky in Hartford as a fire ripped through the second floor of the two-and-a-half story wooden multi-family home at 15 Carpenter Street just at about 11:58 p.m.

Neighbors saw fire come from the second floor of the building, so they knocked on the door. A civilian called 911.

Firefighters went into the building hose lines and established all occupants were out of the building. Crews were forced out of the building due to the heavy fire, high heat and low visibility, so they attacked the fire from the outside.

The fire department raised a second alarm to bring in more crews at nearly 12:30 a.m. on Monday.

Four residents were displaced and another resident was away when the fire broke out. No civilians were injured. Two firefighters sustained minor injuries and required treatment.

Firefighters have put out the fire, but the roof has been compromised.

The department's Special Services Division responded with the American Red Cross to help two families, including four adults and one child, relocate.

Firefighters stayed there until 4:32 a.m. Monday. Fire Prevention Division representatives said the fire was accidental and the cause was electrical.

Hartford fire officials caution residents to be careful when using electrical equipment and to follow manufacturer instructions.

Contact Us