East Haven High School was evacuated on Monday after police responded to the school for a second time that day to investigate a rumored bomb threat.
Earlier in the day, administrators called police upon receiving a report that a student overheard a conversation about a threatening comment a student supposedly made, according to East Haven High School Principal Vincent A. DeNuzzo.
The student in question was kept in isolation and the collaborative investigation by police and administrators revealed that the student hadn't made a credible threat and that "there were no weapons found related to the rumor," DeNuzzo said in a letter emailed to families. Officials deemed the school safe and normal operations resumed.
"Be assured, if there were any credible threats, at any time, the school's safety protocols, such as our lockdown procedures, would have been followed," DeNuzzo said.
Families were notified of the incident at 11:50 a.m., DeNuzzo said.
Later on, a third party reported another rumor that "a bomb was going to go off in the building," DeNuzzo said. The community learned of this threat on social media and by students contacting their parents, he said.
Administrators called East Haven police again and they evacuated students and staff from the school.
East Haven police searched the building.
Students were dismissed at scheduled dismissal times and after school activities went on as planned.
"The safety of each child is our number one priority, and it is our duty to ensure student safety first, and make contact with parents/guardians once students are safe," DeNuzzo said.