Second Arrest Made After Stolen Vehicle Pursuit in East Haven

East Haven police have arrested a second person in connection to a pursuit in a stolen car that spanned multiple towns on Sunday.

Police said while on routine patrol, their license plate reader alerted officers to a stolen vehicle that had just passed. The vehicle, a gray BMW, had been reported stolen from West Haven on August 31.

A short time later, officers saw the vehicle traveling eastbound on Saltonstall Parkway towards Branford. An officer attempted to pull the vehicle over, but the operator ignored his signal to stop and fled toward Branford, leading officers in a pursuit.

Branford Police, who were already looking for the stolen vehicle, joined the pursuit that had entered their town. Police from both towns ended the pursuit after the stolen vehicle hit another vehicle at the intersection of West Main Street and Short Beach Road. The vehicle continued on and officers lost sight of it when it fled westbound on West Main Street and headed back towards East Haven.

When officers searched the area, they found the unoccupied, disabled BMW in the middle of the road on Frontage Road, under the I-95 overpass. Officers circulated the area and found the vehicle's passenger, later identified as 21-year-old Theresa Cogdell, near Pardee Place. After a brief foot chase, Cogdell was apprehended and taken into custody. She was charged with larceny and interfering with an officer. She was released on a $5,000 bond and will appear in court on September 12.

Troopers from Connecticut State Police responded to help apprehend the second suspect, later determined to be 20-year-old Jonathan Diaz-Moore. A trooper spotted Diaz-Moore on Pardee Place and a foot pursuit ensued. Officers said Diaz Moore fled through several backyards on Pardee Place before officers lost sight of him. Police relocated Diaz-Moore near apartments on Main Street, but lost sight of him again after he fled eastbound on Kimberly Avenue through backyards and over fences.

On Tuesday, East Haven Police said Diaz-Moore was taken into custody. He was turned over to his parole officer on a parole violation and is currently incarcerated. Officers said he will be charged with East Haven's charges once an arrest warrant affidavit is issued and served.

In addition to the charges in East Haven, police said Connecticut State Police has an active arrest warrant out for Diaz-Moore for escape in the first degree.

Contact Us