Second Ex-UConn Student Charged With Arson at Storrs Apartments

A second former UConn student has been arrested and charged with arson after a state police investigation into fires that caused nearly $25,000 in damage to a townhouse apartment and several cars near the University of Connecticut campus in Storrs in October.

Police said two roommates -- Logan Rama, 20, of New Milford, and David Kuhn, 19, of Sherman -- are accused of setting fire to cars outside apartments after being thrown out of a party on Carriage House Drive.

Police responded to the apartments in Storrs around 5:20 a.m. on Oct. 11 to investigate reports of a motor vehicle fire and found three scorched cars. As investigators looked into the case, they determined the fire has been set with gasoline, police said.

Police investigating fires at Carriage House Apts

Around 5:30 a.m., a witness who had been sleeping on a couch at one of the apartments woke up to the sound of someone screaming and saw that the inside of the apartment door was on fire, so they grabbed a pitcher and cup of water and put it out.

With the fire out, they went back to sleep until they heard the sound of popping from outside and saw a car was on fire, police said. Then, police started recieving 911 calls about the fires and witnesses told police that two men had tried to get into a party the night before, but were asked several times to leave.

During the last request to leave, one of the men allegedly said, “It would be a shame if something happened to this place tonight,” according to the arrest warrant application.

One witness identified one of the suspects as an employee of a UConn dining hall, but did not know his name. Police later identified the man as Rama. 

Once police had Rama's name, they went to his off-campus apartment, where they found two pairs of sneakers they believed to have gasoline on them, as well as a plastic bucket in the bathroom with suspected gasoline, according to the arrest warrant application.

While speaking with police, Rama said he was at Carriage House and went to a party, but denied being in a fight, according to the arrest warrant application.

"I do not want to confess to something that is going to ruin my life," he said, according to the arrest warrant application, then said he no longer wanted to speak with police.

When police questioned Kuhn, he told police he thought he bumped into someone at the party and someone came at him, throwing punches, but he and Rama left after someone broke up the fight and told them to leave.

Kuhn also denied that he or Rama said anything like “it would be a shame if something happened to this place tonight.”

He did, however, say they decide to go back to Carriage House and “get some justice,” according to police, and came up with a plan to use gasoline and burn the front lawn of the apartment where the party was, according to the arrest warrant application.

When they got back to Carriage House Road, both men got out of the car, Kuhn said, and Rama poured the gasoline on the cars and grass, while Kuhn used a lighter to ignite the gas, according to police documents.

Police have charged Rama with first-degree arson, first-degree conspiracy to commit arson, first-degree criminal mischief, tampering with a motor vehicle and first-degree reckless endangerment.

Rama turned himself in to police on Wednesday morning and bond was set at $500,000.

Officials from UConn said Kuhn and Rama were enrolled at UConn from the Fall 2014 semester through the Fall 2015 semester, but is no longer enrolled.

Contact Us