Funeral Services Held for East Haven Children Killed

Two children found dead in their East Haven home last week were laid to rest on Tuesday.

Hundreds paid respects to 6-year-old Aleisha and 7-year-old Daaron Moore, including their grieving father, Michael Moore. He left the Varick Memoria AME Zion Church with the support of family and friends. Moore previously described Daaron as always having a smile on his face and Aleisha as wise beyond her years.

"The kids are under God’s wings," BJ Butler said. "Now we have to pray for the mother to find out what happened to her, what she’s going through. It’s pathetic really.”

Police found the children's bodies when they responded to a 911 call at their Strong Street home on June 2 and have since charged their mother, LeRoya Moore, 36, with murdering them. She is suspected of poisoning her children, according to police. LeRoya Moore admitted to police that she opened a gas line in the home and told them "I stabbed them, I released them."

"I really cant even fathom what has occurred,"  David Chambers, a friend of the children's father said. "So I really cant comment about that because I just don’t know how to feel to be honest."

Services were held for the children at Varick Memorial AME Zion Church at 246 Dixwell Ave., New Haven on Tuesday. Visitation was from 10 to 11 a.m., followed by a funeral service, according to B.C. Bailey Funeral and Cremation Services. The children were buried at Mountain Grove Cemetary in Easton.

"I've been to a lot of funerals, but this right here was one of the toughest because it was, you know, two kids," Earl Caple said.

Autopsies were performed on the children, but the exact cause of death is still pending toxicology results.

However, police found 46 bottles and boxes of medication, some of which were near the children, and believe the chidlren's death was the result of poisoning.

The community and the father of two kids found dead in an East Haven home gathered at a vigil in their memory.

Police charged LeRoya Moore with two counts of murder and three counts of reckless endangerment in the first degree in connection with the deaths of her children.

The Department of Children and Families has investigated her since 1997 and DCF had removed the three oldest of her five children from the home by DCF, according to the arrest warrant.

However, Aleisha and Daaron were left with their mother.

Moore was placed on a $2 million bond and was arraigned on Wednesday afternoon. She has been placed on mental health watch and her next court date is June 23.

More information on the services for Aleisha and Daaron is available on

Contact Us