Smoke Detector Saved Colchester Woman's Life: Fire Official

A woman escaped a fire in her home in Colchester early Sunday morning.

Firefighters responded to the home on Lakeview Drive and found the home full of thick black smoke.

The woman had working smoke detectors in the house and that made the difference, according to fire officials.

“The homeowner was able to get out, she had working smoke detectors. In this face this morning, that working smoke detector saved her life because she would have just continued to sleep and be overcome by the CO,” Deputy Fire Chief Donald Lee said.

Fire officials determined a box fan in a basement crawlspace sparked the fire.

The woman will not be able to stay in the house because of the smoke damage, Lee said.

Contact Us