Los Angeles

Southington Family's Invention a Finalist in National Contest

The Kid’s Safe Switch, developed by a Southington family, is a finalist in the Frito-Lay Dreamvention contest

A hot stove can be a hidden danger for young children in any home. That’s why a Southington family created a new way to keep kids safe.

“Kids really do get burned on the stove,” said Jill White. “Kids end up in the hospital all the time.”

The device is called the Kid’s Safe Switch, and it sounds an alert if the kids get too close.

“It has sensors in it,” White said. “So when the oven is hot, and a child approaches it that is below the height of the oven, once they get within a few feet an alarm will sound. It will flash at them and parents will hear it.”

At first, the idea was just a drawing. They entered it into the Frito-Lay Dreamvention contest online.

The Kid’s Safe Switch is one of only five finalists in the national competition. The family had the chance to fly out to Los Angeles, film a promo shoot, and meet other finalists.

“We got to see it, our prototype and we got to show it off a little bit there,” White said.

Over the next few weeks, the invention with the most votes will win a $250,000 prize.

“It makes me really proud,” White said. “I feel really good about it. I feel good that people are coming up to me and telling me that they think it’s a really good product.”

Click here to vote. 

Contact Us