Southington Grocery Store Fire Started in Kitchen Area: Fire Officials

A fire that destroyed a popular Southington grocery store started in the kitchen area, fire officials announced Tuesday.

On Sunday fire heavily damaged the IGA Tops Market on the Meriden-Waterbury Turnpike. While no one was hurt, many in the community were shocked by the damage to a popular local spot. Some even gathered at a vigil in support of the store owners Monday night.

"We are devastated. I can’t think of any other word. Looking at this in disbelief,” owner John Salerno said Monday.

The fire started in the rear of the building in a kitchen area, near pizza ovens, fire officials said. The cause of the fire is undermined at this stage. For now, the community hopes this local staple will return.

“I’m hoping that we can rebuild this store. Because on this side of town, we don’t have anywhere to go. This is where we all go,” Karen Nelson of Southington said.

The investigation is ongoing.

Contact Us