Trader Joe's is recalling raw walnuts because they could be contaminated with Salmonella.
The raw walnuts subject to the recall were distributed to Trader Joe’s stores nationwide, according to the recall listed on the Federal Drug Administration website.
Following are the affected products:
- Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Walnut Pieces, 16 ounces, with a best by date of 12/2015 and UPC Code: 00373685. Lot number: GU4345.
- Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Walnut Halves & Pieces, 16 ounces with a best by date of 12/2015. UPC Code: 00943338. Lot numbers GU4346, GU4349 and GU4356
- Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Walnut Baking Pieces, 16 ounces with a best by date of 2/2015. UPC Code: 00519342. Lot number: GU4350
- Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Premium Walnut Halves, 16 ounces, with a best by date of 12/2015. UPC code: 00519328. Lots: GU4343, GU4344, GU4351 and GU4352
- Trader Joe’s Organic Raw Walnut Halves & Pieces, 12 ounces, with best by dates of Oct. 15, 2015, Oct. 16, 2015, Oct. 17, 2015, Oct. 20, 2015, Oct. 21, 2015, Nov. 17, 2015, Nov. 18, 2015, Nov. 19, 2015, Nov. 20, 2015, Nov. 28, 2015 and Dec. EC 01 2015 UPC code: 00586627
An outside company the FDA hired to do some routine testing discovered the presence of Salmonella in certain packages of Trader Joe’s Raw Walnuts, according to the FDA.
As a precaution, Trader Joe’s removed all lots of these products from store shelves and will suspend sale of them while the FDA and the manufacturers investigate into the source of the problem.
Trader Joe’s Company has not received any reports of illness connected to the walnuts, according to the FDA.
Customers who bought the recalled raw walnuts should throw them away or return them to any Trader Joe’s for a full refund.
If you have questions, call Trader Joe’s Customer Relations at (626) 599-3817 or submit an email online.