Unattended Lit Candle Sparked Hamden House Fire: FD

Hamden fire officials have released the cause of a house fire on Dixwell Avenue on Saturday night.

Firefighters were called to a home on Dixwell Avenue around 10:15 p.m. after getting a report of a structure fire.

According to fire officials, a couple had just returned home and heard smoke detectors sounding throughout the home.

When crews arrived, they said they found smoke on the first and second floors of the home.

Firefighters said one of the occupants of the home re-entered the home to try and rescue family pets. Crews at the scene found him inside of the home by using a thermal imaging camera. He and the family pets were safely removed from the home.

Crews were able to contain the fire to the room of origin which was a master bedroom on the second floor, firefighters said. The Fire Marshal's Office determined the fire had started by a candle that was left burning on a dresser in the bedroom.

The fire was brought under control shortly before 10:41 p.m., but it left heavy smoke damage throughout the home and water damage, according to fire officials. The occupants of the home are staying with family members while their home is being repaired.

A 78-year-old woman was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital to be evaluated and she was released the next day, firefighters said.

Contact Us