The Wish School in Hartford was closed as workers removed asbestos debris, but it is resuming operations today after the state Department of Health gave the all-clear.
Over the spring break, contractors removing old lockers had exposed some insulation within the school. As protocol, experts tested this material and found that asbestos was present.
The school partnered with a contractor from Eagle Environmental and the State Department of Public Health to develop a plan to remove the asbestos.
During the removal processteh school was closed on Monday, April 17 and Tuesday, April 18. School officials said the asbestos was removed Monday and air samples were taken.
No students, staff or families were exposed since the lockers were taken down during spring break.
Two days will be added on to the school calendar to make up for the days.
The school provided a timeline of the process so far and going forward:
- April 10, Monday: Contractors on site of Wish School to begin removal of lockers.
- April 11, Tuesday: During removal of lockers, after suspicious insulation is discovered, Eagle Environmental is contacted and arrives to school to take samples for testing on a rush basis. Test results confirmed presence of asbestos in the insulation.
- April 12, Wednesday: Eagle Environmental works with State Department of Public Health to develop a remediation and abatement plan of the asbestos debris. Abatement process begins that evening. Building is closed until process is completed.
- April 13, Thursday: Further tests results reveal the need for an extended scope of work and that successful air clearance in time for a Monday school opening is not possible.
- April 17, Monday:School district determines that Wish School will close Monday to complete the remediation and abatement. Letters mailed to families and school messenger and emails to staff, family and partners.
- April 18, Tuesday: School district determines that Wish School will close Tuesday to complete the remediation and abatement. Letters mailed to families and school messenger and emails to staff, family and partners.