Terryville High School Student Killed, Sibling Injured in Shooting; Woman Arrested for Murder

NBC Universal, Inc.

A Terryville High School student has died and his or her younger sibling is critically injured after a shooting on Friday night and state police said a woman has been arrested and charged with murder in connection to the shooting.

Connecticut State Police said crews were called to a home on North Main Street in the Terryville section of Plymouth around 7 p.m.

Investigators said 43-year-old Naomi Bell, of Terryville, shot two children within the home. Authorities did not say how Bell and the children knew each other.

One of the children was later pronounced dead, according to state police. The other child is in critical condition at Connecticut Children's Medical Center, they added.

On Saturday, Plymouth school district officials said the child who died was a Terryville High School student and the child who was critically injured is a student at Harry S. Fisher Elementary School.

According to the school district, a third sibling, who is a student at Eli Terry Jr. Middle School, was not home at the time of the shooting.

A crisis team has been assembled to provide counseling to families and staff at Eli Terry Jr. Middle School on Saturday and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., school district officials said. Masks are required.

Counselors, school psychologists and social workers will be available to provide support to students and staff on Monday, they added.

Serious injuries are reported after an incident in the Terryville section of Plymouth, according to Connecticut State Police.

"I’m in shock. It’s still not real to me," Taylor Wells of Plymouth said.

Wells lives directly next door. He said he did not hear gunshots and was in disbelief when two ambulances arrived. Wells said he knows Bell casually and what happened is confusing.

"She was nice. I’m having trouble believing it," Wells said.

Other neighbors who spoke to NBC Connecticut anonymously described Bell as a friendly, likable woman. They, too, were shocked, as is Wells.

"She was so sweet. She was a dog walking soccer mom," Wells said.

Bell is facing charges including murder with special circumstances and criminal attempt to commit murder with special circumstances. She is currently detained in lieu of a $2,500,000 bond. Bell is due in court on November 16.

This appears to be an isolated incident and that there is no immediate danger to the public, police said.

The Connecticut State Police Western District Major Crimes division is investigating.

Contact Us