Woman Arrested After Child Swallows Marijuana in Naugatuck

A 21-year-old Naugatuck woman has been arrested after a child swallowed marijuana while in her care, according to police.

Police said they responded to St. Mary’s Hospital at 5:47 p.m. on Friday to investigate and determined that the child ingested a small amount of marijuana while Sheila Varela, 21, of Naugatuck, was taking care of her.

The child was not harmed, but the state Department of Children and Families was notified.

Varela was charged with risk of injury to a child. She was released on a $1,000 non-surety bond and she is due back in court on April 27.

It’s not clear if she has an attorney.

Contact Us