One woman suffered minor burns and four families have been displaced after a multi-family house at 165 West St. in Seymour caught fire Thursday morning. Firefighters also rescued two cats from the burning building.
The fire marshal said a woman was cooking in the second-floor back apartment and the fire started on the stovetop. That woman was taken to the hospital.
All five adults who live in the building were out when firefighters arrived, but they have been displaced.
The balloon frame construction of the building allowed the fire to spread from one corner to the other side of the house, officials said. The second and third floors have heavy fire damage, while the first floor sustained smoke and water damage.
Tenants of the second floor said their apartment was destroyed, but they were able to salvage some personal belongings.
American Red Cross is assisting three of the residents.
Fire Chief Michael Lombardi said the crews attacked the fire aggressively and none were injured.