Driver of Police Van Opts for Bench Trial in Freddie Gray Case

Prosecutors say Goodson was grossly negligent when he failed to buckle Gray into a seat belt and call for medical aid

The Baltimore police officer who drove the van in which Freddie Gray broke his neck waived his right to a jury trial on Monday, instead opting to place his fate in the hands of a judge. 

Officer Caesar Goodson, 46, faces charges of second-degree "depraved-heart" murder, manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment stemming from Freddie Gray's death on April 19, 2015. He has pleaded not guilty.

Gray, 25, died a week after he suffered a critical spinal injury in the back of Goodson's transport wagon. 

Goodson opted to have his case heard by a judge rather than a jury at a motions hearing Monday before Baltimore Circuit Judge Barry Williams.

Opening statements are scheduled to begin Thursday morning. 

Prosecutors said Goodson is the most culpable in Gray's death. They allege Goodson was grossly negligent when he failed to buckle a handcuffed and shackled Gray into a seat belt and call an ambulance when he indicated he needed medical aid. 

Goodson is one of six officers charged in Gray's arrest and death, but the only one who didn't make a statement to investigators. He is facing the most serious charge.

Gray's death last year prompted protests and rioting across vast swaths of the city, and his name became a rallying cry in the national conversation about the treatment of black men by police in America.

In the wake of Gray's death, the city's police commissioner was abruptly fired. Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, who was widely criticized for her handling of the civil unrest that followed, announced she wouldn't run for re-election. 

Williams ruled Monday on several pretrial motions. He granted a defense bid to prevent Syreeta Teel, an investigator who interviewed another officer charged in the case and took the stand during his trial, from being called as a witness against Goodson. 

Teel is one of two departmental investigators who interviewed Officer William Porter, whose first trial ended in a mistrial in December. Before Porter made an official taped statement to Teel, the two spoke on the phone informally.

Gray said he couldn't breathe during one of the transport wagon's stops, Teel testified, citing her conversation with Porter. In his official statement, Porter made no mention of Gray's complaint. 

An appeals court ruled that the officers in the Gray case can be forced to testify against each other, and Porter could be called as a witness against Goodson, Williams said Monday.

But Teel's statements are only relevant to Porter, according to Williams, who agreed with the defense that Teel should be excluded from the upcoming trial. 

Williams sided with the state on most of the remaining motions, denying the defense's request to dismiss the assault charge and to suppress portions of the autopsy report. 

Gray was arrested April 12 outside the Gilmor Homes housing complex in West Baltimore. Prosecutors said he was handcuffed and placed inside a transport wagon with Goodson at the wheel.

A few blocks away, the wagon stopped and three officers took Gray out, secured him in leg shackles and slid him back into the wagon's compartment, head-first and on his belly. He was never strapped into a seat belt. The wagon made three more stops before its final destination of the Western District station house. At that point, Gray was unconscious. 

Goodson is the only officer who was present at every wagon stop, and other officers have testified that it was his responsibility to ensure the safety of the prisoner in his custody. 

Last month, Williams acquitted Officer Edward Nero, who faced misdemeanor charges in the Gray case and also chose a judge trial. 

After the hearing on Monday, a small group of protesters gathered outside the courthouse, holding yellow signs and banners calling for justice for Freddie Gray. 

The Rev. Cortly "C.D." Witherspoon, a vocal activist against police brutality in the city, said he was deeply disappointed with Goodson's decision to waive his right to a jury trial and instead proceed before a judge. 

"We've suffered so much already in the midst of this trial that we would hope that we would have had Baltimore City residents be part of a jury process, to have an opportunity to decide this officer's guilt or innocence," Witherspoon said Monday. "We've already suffered so much, we've been through an ordeal and the decision is devastating."

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us