A surprise marriage proposal at the 2018 Primetime Emmy Awards instantly became an awww moment and put the audience on the edge of their seats. Glenn Weiss walked away with an Emmy and his girlfriend walked away with an engagement ring.
Weiss won the Emmy on Monday night for directing the Oscars telecast and was giving the sort of speech from a non-celebrity that makes most viewers tune out when he said that his mother died two weeks ago, and she was fond of his girlfriend.
He then said during the 70th anniversary awards show, "You wonder why I don't want to call you my girlfriend? It's because I want to call you my wife."
U.S. & World
The star-studded crowd, realizing a proposal was on, whooped and cheered. Leslie Jones of "Saturday Night Live" stood with her mouth agape in surprise, as did the woman herself.
Weiss's girlfriend, who he called Jan without giving her last name, ran up on stage then Weiss took a knee and said he was giving her the same ring his father gave his mother 67 years ago.
Only then did he actually ask the question. She said yes.
The surprise proposal was one of many top moments from the 2018 Primetime Emmy Awards:
5. Henry Winkler, a.k.a. "The Fonz," won a supporting actor award for "Barry," four decades after gaining fame for his role on "Happy Days."
4. Regina King was without words during her Emmy Awards acceptance speech. King won her third Emmy as outstanding lead actress in a limited series for Netflix's "Seven Seconds."
3. Thandi Newton thanked “God” while accepting her award for supporting actress in a drama for "Westworld." “I don’t even believe in God but I’m going to thank her tonight, she said.
2. Betty White took the stage to a standing ovation, and later she blew the audience a kiss as she reflected on her 70 year career. "It's incredible that I'm still in this business and you are still putting up with me," White said on stage. "The first lady of television" has eight Emmys to her name.
1. Weiss proposed during his acceptance speech and put his recently deceased mother's wedding ring on his girlfriend's finger.